Friday, May 20, 2011

Get Ahead: Machaca Beef

I'm all about getting ahead these days.  I am due to have this baby on Monday so the more I can pack into my freezer, the better.  God bless my mom and mother-in-law for helping me with this!!!  I've also been trying to contribute to this effort by Cooking Big.  By that I mean in the last few weeks I'm trying to make a recipe or two that make enough to feed probably eight people.  Then I'm guaranteed a few leftovers for lunches plus a healthy freezer offering for a later dinner.

This is a great recipe that makes a ton and is easily frozen for a later date.  Or you can always give in to the glorious smells emitting from your slow cooker and eat all of this in one sitting.  We don't judge here.

Machaca Beef

Recipe from Fix It & Forget It cookbook

1 1/2 lb beef roast
1 large onion, sliced
2 beef boullion cubes
1 (4oz) can diced green chiles
1 1/2 tsp dry mustard
1 tsp season salt
1/2 tsp garlic powder
1/2 tsp freshly ground black pepper
1 cup salsa

1. In a slow cooker, combine the onion, boullion cubes, and chiles.  Lay the roast on top of this and sprinkle with seasonings.  Add just enough water to cover the roast.

 2.  Cover and cook on LOW for 10-12 hours.


3.  Transfer the roast from the cooking liquid to a large bowl and shred.  Stir in salsa.  Add some of the cooking liquid (and the onions too!) if it is still a little dry.  You want this to be a deliciously juicy shredded meat concoction.

4.  Use shredded beef for:
  • Nacho topping
  • Tacos
  • Burritos
  • Quesadillas
  • Enchiladas
  • Chili
  • All around feel-good happiness food
Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment