Monday, September 9, 2013

Balsamic Kale Salad

With all the kale we've been getting from our CSA lately, this one is fast becoming one of my favorite ways to prepare it.  Not just because it's fast and easy, but my husband likes it and even my two year-old shoves the dark green leaves into his mouth!


Balsamic Kale Salad
Recipe from Noelle Chave
Prep time: 2 minutes   Cook time: However long it takes your microwave to steam kale

**This is a Make Ahead salad.  You want this to sit as long as possible, up to 24 hours.

1 bunch of kale, washed and stems removed
2-3 cloves of garlic, smashed
2-4 tbsp balsamic vinegar
1-2 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
Salt

1.  Tear or chop the kale into bite-sized pieces.  Place into a microwave-safe bowl with a splash of water.  Cover and cook for a minute or two (NOTE: I have a micro-steamer bowl and a Fresh Vegetable button on my microwave so this step is insanely easy and fast for me.  If you don't have these things, use any container and cover you have and start with a minute. You want the kale to look really bright green and be slightly wilted but still retain some crunch).
Before steaming (maybe don't pack your container quite so full)

After steaming.  LOVE that bright green color!


2.  Drain steamed kale and put in a large bowl with the smashed garlic cloves.  Douse with as much balsamic vinegar as you like and toss to coat.  Drizzle with EVOO and toss again.  Salt to taste.
Throw everything in a bowl and toss.  See? EASY


This salad is everything a leaf-y green salad should be.  It's dark, it's crunchy, the balsamic vinegar is intense but doesn't overpower the kale, and the garlic adds just enough punch too.  Honestly, I fill up at least half my plate with this "side" dish and try to make my little bit of whatever protein we're having fit around it.  I. LOVE. This. Salad!!!

And I'm pretty sure that every time I eat kale, my internal organs do a happy dance.  It's a dark, nutritionally-rich green that I love to eat as often as possible.  My family?  Not so much.  So when Rob tells me that he liked this salad I wanted to stand up and cheer.

Now, for the really important piece: do my kids like it?  Well I've already said that my two year-old pretty much inhales this.  That didn't happen the first time I made this but I've learned to be patient with my children's taste buds.  My Picky Eater of course still claims to hate this BUT I've learned his cues, and he doesn't gag on it.  That means progress!  That means that eventually he just might learn to love this as much as I do.  So this salad will just have to keep appearing on our dinner table.  Yay!!
Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment