Wednesday, July 3, 2013

CSA Week 3

Because of Independence Day falling on Thursday this year, I picked up our share a day early.  So that means some of this glorious bounty will make an appearance at our cookout tomorrow night!  Excellent!!

So for our 3rd week of CSA, we have:
I think I need a separate, full-size fridge just for produce.

  • Basil
  • Napa Cabbage
  • Peas
  • Kale
  • Beets
  • Squash
  • Kohlrabi
  • Chard
  • Parsley
  • Eggs
Oh, so many options here...  Where shall I begin?
  • The herbs I'll use here and there throughout the next couple weeks.  I'm totally in love with green-garlic compound butter, which needs a little parsley.  And a Caprese salad might be added to an upcoming menu.
  • When I saw the cabbage, the first thing that popped in my head was Teriyaki Chicken with Warm Ginger-Carrot Slaw.  I haven't made it in years but I LOVE it (the fam, not so much but oh well.  I'm the cook here!). ;)
  • I have a smoothie recipe I want to use the kale in for the boys.  They always need more leafy greens in their diets.
  • My parents swear by roasting beets, which I'll try.  But honestly, I have a certain chocolate cake in mind for these guys!
  • Kohlrabi and chard I need to think about.  These are very new to me so I'll be doing some digging to see what I can come up with.
In case anyone is wondering, so far our CSA experiment this summer is totally WORKING.  Not only are we eating more vegetables, but we're discovering we actually like new ones!  I'm getting closer to loving asparagus (baby steps here... don't rush me), AND Rob and I both discovered we like turnips.  If you're at all considering doing a CSA next year, I would certainly recommend it based on our experience so far.

We are supporting LOTFOTL Farm by purchasing a Seesaw Share, plus a dozen eggs.  This means we will get a box of produce and a dozen eggs every other week. To learn more about CSA's and how to participate, visit www.localharvest.org/csa/ 
Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment