Wednesday, August 15, 2012

Whole Wheat Chocolate Peanut Butter Swirl Doughnuts

I have a confession to make.  I am a recovering Nutella addict.

I'm sure the fact that I've had a love affair with the popular chocolatey hazelnut spread comes as no surprise.  But that I'm trying to recover from it may leave some of you wondering why on earth I'd actively try to give up something so decadently delicious.

Two words: hydrogenated oils.

Let's be clear here, I'm NOT a nutritionist.  What I am is an ordinary Family Cook who's trying to make some simple diet changes to better my and my family's health.  But when I made the decision to cut out hydrogenate oils, little did I know that my favorite spread would be leaving my life as well.

*sniffle*



But..... I've found a replacement.  I can't believe I'm going to say this, but I like my new chocolate peanut butter spread BETTER than it's hazelnut counterpart! 

Now I can play around with amazing recipes like this one without missing a single thing, except those unhealthy fats. ;)

Whole Wheat Chocolate Peanut Butter Swirl Doughnuts
Recipe adapted from Gingerbread Bagels
Prep time: 10 minutes   Bake time: 9 minutes


1 cup cake flour
1 cup whole wheat flour
3/4 cup sugar
2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp salt
3/4 cup buttermilk [NOTE: Or plain yogurt. Or milk with a little lemon juice. Or 3 tbsp powdered buttermilk with 3/4 cup water]
2 large eggs, lightly beaten
2 tbsp butter, melted [NOTE: You could also use 1 tbsp butter and 1 tbsp unsweetened applesauce]
1 tsp vanilla extract
6 tbsp chocolate peanut butter spread, divided

1.  Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F.

2.  Sift the flours, sugar, baking powder and salt into a large bowl. Mix it up.
The usual Dry Ingredient Suspects


3.  Add in the buttermilk, eggs, melted butter and vanilla extract. Gently mix and fold everything together. Be careful to not over mix the batter.
Flour lumps never hurt anyone. Dense doughnuts from overmixing can though.


4.  Put the batter into a large resealable plastic bag and snip off the corner. Pipe the batter into a lightly greased doughnut pan.  Could you spoon or pour the batter into the pan to save the plastic bag? Sure, but be prepared for an UBER mess.  Piping is easier, faster, and cleaner. Trust me. ;)


5.  Put 1/2 tbsp [NOTE: don't have a 1/2 tablespoon? It's the same as 1 1/2 teaspoons] of chocolate peanut butter spread on each top of each doughnut. Using a knife, toothpick, or wooden skewer, swirl the spread around in the batter.
This brand also has many other PB spread flavors. I want to try them all!!

Use the knife to put little globs around the circle.


Gently coax the PB to loosen up and swirl around.


6.  Bake the doughnuts for 9 minutes.  Remove the doughnuts from the pan to cool and enjoy!
*DROOL*

Though I tried to inject as many healthful alternatives into these as I could, trust me, they taste ANYTHING but healthy.  They are sweet, cakey, chocolatey, peanut buttery, puffed golden disks of pure heaven.

And in the 20 minutes since I've pulled them out of the oven, Gavin has told me no less than 23 times how much he's looking forward to snack time and he CAN'T WAIT to have a doughnut.  Because they are as good-for-you as I can make them, I'm more than happy to let my son snack on them!

p.s. Subject change! If you're keeping track of the new dinners I try out each week, I want to let you know that the Tandoori Shrimp turned out fine the other night.  But I'm sure I can make it better. ;)  So I'm holding back on that one until I can try it again.  Thanks for your patience!!
Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment