Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Italian Beef

I'm in a slow cooker kind of mood.  I'm not sure if it's the time of year, the weather, or the fact that I have waaaaaaaaay less time with two little ones to take care of.  Dear Lord!  I know my mommy friends out there warned me how it would be with two but I must not have been fully comprehending.  Sorry Mommy Friends!!  I get it now.

Anyway, I'm becoming a bigger and bigger fan of tossing whatever it is into the pot, turning it on, and walking away.  Who's with me here?!

This is one of my FAVORITE things to walk away from.

Italian Beef
Recipe from my mom

1 tbsp dried minced onion
2 tsp salt
2 tsp garlic powder
2 tsp dried oregano
1 tsp dried rosemary, crushed
1 tsp dried marjoram
1 tsp celery seed
1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
1 (3-4lb) boneless chuck roast
8-10 sandwich rolls, split
8-10 slices of favorite cheese

1.  In a small bowl, combine all the seasonings.
Love making my own seasoning blends


2.  Rub seasonings all over chuck roast; place in slow cooker.  [Do NOT add any liquid. All the marbled fat in the meat will melt down and create it's own delicious liquid to keep this moist.]  Cover and cook on LOW for 7-9 hours.
Don't be shy; use ALL of the seasoning blend you just created


3.  Shred beef and serve on hamburger buns with a little of the jus created from the slowly cooked meat.
We're into these sandwich thins now.  Less bread, MORE MEAT! ;)


I didn't get this recipe with a warning, but since I like you and we're friends, I'm going to warn you about what I've learned from making this.  Your house will smell AH-MAY-ZING about halfway through the cooking process.  Not kidding.  You will be tempted to grab a fork, open up the pot and just dive into that delicious aroma.  Be strong. Resist and wait for the finish line.  Your supreme self-control will be rewarded.
Pin It

1 comment:

  1. Making this now for dinner as the kids watch MMA on Fox tonight. Will have about 9 or 10 people here, so I doubled the recipe. Mouth is watering already!

    ReplyDelete