Sunday, August 28, 2011

Brown Sugar Pork Loin

I try new recipes all the time.  Normally when I find one, I have some time, whether it's a few days or a few weeks, before I actually make it.  I like to ponder the ingredients, the steps involved, how the flavors will come together, and any adjustments I might need or like to make.  Ok so I might say "ponder," others may say "obsess."  Meh, details.

I do not enjoy, though, waking up the day of and realizing I have no dinner plan.  I have ingredients but no recipe to follow.  Many times, these situations can end in frustrating, or worse yet, disastrous results.  It's the reason I keep a stash of pizzas in the freezer.

This day though, I'm determined.  I have this lovely pork loin, one I refuse to mess up by just playing around, and a great big slow cooker.  I WILL find a recipe.  It WILL be easy, and it WILL be delicious.

Victory is sweet.  Literally.

Brown Sugar Pork Loin
Recipe adapted from here

1 boneless pork loin roast, 4 to 6 pounds
1 clove garlic, halved
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
1 cup brown sugar
1 tbsp Dijon mustard
1 tbsp balsamic vinegar

1.  Pat the loin dry and rub with one of the garlic halves. Sprinkle with salt and pepper, then prick the roast all over with a fork.
Holy garlic clove!!


2.  In a cup or bowl, combine the brown sugar, mustard, vinegar, and remaining garlic half, either minced or crushed using a garlic press. Rub the mixture all over the roast and place in slow cooker fat side up.
An interesting blend of flavors


3.  Cover and cook on LOW for 7 to 9 hours.  Let rest 10-15 minutes before slicing.
Yum


It would be more appropriate if I said "attempt to slice" actually.  Once I put pressure on the meat, it began to squish down and fall to pieces.  Oh man...Heaven with a capital H!  The pork was moist from sitting in the slow cooker all day, that layer of fat slowly melting down over and through it.  The tangy brown sugar mixture makes this light crust all over it, sweetening the pork but don't worry, it's not too sweet.

I seriously recommend you try this one.
Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment