Monday, October 7, 2013

Roasted Vegetable Pasta Bake

So how many successful, tasty dishes does it take before I have to admit that I like something?  Because I'm still not willing to say that I like zucchini.  In fact, just the thought of doing so makes me want to gag.

But *sigh* it's happened again.  I found yet another recipe that incorporates this vegetable that I detest so much in such a gloriously wondrous way that I can't stop myself from having seconds.


Or thirds.

Or fourths.  Please don't judge.

Roasted Vegetable Pasta Bake
Recipe from Kristen Nelsen
Prep time:  10-15 minutes   Marinating time: 15 minutes to 2-3 hours   Cook time: 50 minutes

1 lb short-cut pasta, cooked to just under al dente
1 zucchini, chopped
1/2 red onion, diced
1 container sliced Baby Bella mushrooms
1 1/2 tbsp Italian seasoning
1 tbsp salt
2-4 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
1/3 cup red wine
1 (24oz) jar marinara sauce
1/4 cup grated or shredded asiago
1/4 cup Parmesan
Shredded mozzarella

1.  Place all the chopped and sliced vegetables in a large, resealable bag.  Add the Italian seasoning, salt, oil, and red wine.  Seal the bag and smush around to coat everything.  Refrigerate at least 15 minutes, or up to 2-3 hours in the fridge if you have the time.
There is no way this combo could go wrong.


2.  Preheat the oven to 400 and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.  Dump the contents of the bag onto the prepared baking sheet and spread out in an even layer.  Roast for about 20 minutes.  Reduce oven temp to 350 if you're going to bake the casserole right away.
I kid you not, this smells like PIZZA as it roasts.  *drooooool*


3.  In a large bowl, combine the roasted vegetables, cooked pasta, marinara sauce, asiago, and mozzarella.  Spread this mixture into a greased 9x13 baking pan and top with Parmesan.  Bake at 350 for about 30 minutes.
You bet I halved this and stuck one in the freezer for later!


What I seriously love about this recipe is it's versatility.  You can use whatever vegetables you want, whatever seasonings for roasting, whatever cheeses you like, fresh herbs if you have them.....the options just keep going!  When my friend made this for lunch at a play date, she used sliced zucchini and squash, plus a few other veggies, and my brain went to it's usual, horrified "but I hate zucchini/squash" place.  But then I smelled it baking, and I was intrigued.  And then I tasted it, and I was shocked.  And then I couldn't stop myself from getting a second helping that I inhaled just as quickly as the first one.

Something truly magical happens when you roast vegetables; all those flavors get concentrated and sweeter.  But when you first soak them in something as delicious as wine and seasonings, well...can you see how I fell in love with this one?

And yes, this is totally Freezer Friendly!!  So feel free to split this in half, like I did, or double it since it doesn't take any more time to make twice as much.
Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment