Wednesday, April 10, 2013

Stuffed Flank Steak

I have gone back and forth, back and forth, back and forth on whether I should post this one yet.  There are a few changes I'd like to make to the recipe (nothing major, just minor adjustments) so I feel like I should do those before sharing.  But it tasted really good, so why not share?  But I want to make sure it's perfect first!  But... but... but....

And then it hit me.


My Picky Eater, my resident I-rarely-enjoy-anything-with-beef child, asked for seconds of this.  And my toddler requested thirds.

So no matter what adjustments I make to this recipe, it would be wrong to NOT share this with you now, as it is, because clearly the flavor of this dish is nothing short of miraculous!

Stuffed Flank Steak
Recipe slightly adapted from Family Circle
Prep time: 20 minutes   Cook time: 45 minutes   Rest time: 15 minutes

1 flank steak (1 1/2 to 2 pounds)
1 package frozen chopped spinach, thawed
1/2 cup crumbled blue cheese
1 cup-ish chopped roasted tomatoes
2 tbsp bread crumbs
1 egg yolk
About 3/4 tsp garlic salt, divided
About 3/4 tsp ground black pepper, divided
1 tbsp olive oil

1. Heat oven to 425 degrees F.

2. Lay steak on work surface. Holding sharp knife parallel to work surface and starting at a long side, slice flank steak in half to opposite long side, without cutting all the way through; open up the steak like a book. Flatten to an even thickness (you do want to try and get the meat fairly thin to make for easier rolling later).
Regular ol' flank steak

Slice this open carefully!

Sliced open but waiting to be pounded

Flattened out


3. Squeeze liquid from spinach; discard liquid. In medium-size bowl, combine spinach, cheese, peppers, bread crumbs, egg yolk, 1/4 teaspoon each of the garlic salt and the pepper.
Mmmmmmmmmmmmmm..... filling......


4. Season steak with an additional 1/4 teaspoon each of the garlic salt and pepper. Press filling onto steak, leaving a 1-inch border on all sides.  [NOTE: You'll want the filling layer to be thin so you may not use all of what's in the bowl; that's OK!  This is one of those adjustments I want to make.  A thick layer of filling will make for more difficult rolling]
I love all the pretty colors and flavors of this filling!


5. Roll up steak to enclose filling, beginning on a short side; the grain of the meat will be running from left to right. Tuck any loose filling back into ends.
Anyone else think this is begging for an outer layer of bacon?


6. Tie steak with cotton twine at 2-inch intervals to secure OR, if you don't have cotton twine, use a few toothpicks at the seam to secure the edge. Rub outside with oil, then sprinkle with remaining 1/4 teaspoon each garlic salt and pepper.
I used my broiler pan for the whole cooking process.


7. Roast at 425 degrees F. for 35 minutes, then increase heat to broil and broil for 10 minutes, turning once. Let meat rest 15 minutes. Remove twine or toothpicks, slice, and serve.
ALWAYS tent meat with foil and let rest BEFORE cutting into!!


Ok, now before you sprint to your kitchen to make this, in the interest of full-disclosure, I need to make something clear.  My kids didn't care for the filling.  I'm still counting though that they liked this dish!  I think part of it was that there was just too much of the filling.  And I may adjust the amount of spinach in it too, or change up the cheese a little.  At first Kieran enjoyed the whole thing, but then took a bit of just the filling and wouldn't touch it again.  Gavin also had a bite of just the filling, and though he didn't cry or gag, he didn't love it either.  That's ok though, this is how we learn!  At least the boys enjoyed the beef and the filling flavor wasn't completely offensive.  That gives me enough to go on for my next attempt!
Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment