Friday, January 6, 2012

Clam Chowder

I have a healthy love for clams.  There are a couple clam dishes from my childhood that I absolutely ADORE, clam chowder being one of them.  Whenever I saw Mom get out the big soup pot and start to fry up bacon in it, I'd get pretty giddy with anticipation.  So of course it wasn't long after I got married that I was excited to try making my own clam chowder.  Even better, I'd found a slow cooker version that sounded so good that I couldn't wait to try it.

I'll spare you the horrific details of that venture and just leave it at "it bombed."  It was so horrible that I don't think I tried making chowder again for 3-4 years.

And then my mom told me about her sister's recipe.  Actually, to be perfectly honest, I think it was more like raved about her sister's version.  Sooo tasty and SO EASY.  Really?  Really Mom?  Because I'm not quite sure I can bear the heartache of another batch of clam chowder down the drain.

Let me tell you it really is that tasty and that easy.  So much so that I insist on making this every year for Christmas Eve dinner.

Clam Chowder
Recipe from Marsha Ray

1 stick butter
1 large onion, chopped
2 cans condensed New England Clam Chowder
3 cans condensed Cream of Potato soup
2 cans chopped clams, NOT drained [You can get minced clams if you don't like large pieces in your soup.  My feelings will not be hurt.]
1 quart half & half

1.  Melt butter in a medium frying pan* over medium heat.  Add onion and cook until softened.
Kinda feeling like Paula Deen


2.  Pour cooked onion and butter into a slow cooker.  Add the remaining ingredients and stir to combine.
Dump and stir


3.  Cover and cook on LOW for 4 hours.
It really is that easy.


*You could cook them in a dutch oven as well.  Add the remaining ingredients, cover, and bake in a 150 degree preheated oven for 4 hours.

My favorite way to eat this soup is with some warm white bread and fresh cracked pepper on top.
Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment