Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Balsamic Glazed Brussels Sprouts

I know what you're thinking.  And let me just say, before you rush to judgment, that I've been where you are.  I used to haaaate brussels sprouts... and then I got pregnant with my second child. 

We were at a holiday gathering a year and a half ago with friends, and one was putting together this sprout dish that just smelled INSANE.  While normal, non-pregnant people were having seconds or thirds of things like turkey, mashed potatoes, or pie, I was popping those little suckers into my mouth like candy.

Well, as with the PB & J Obsession with my first-born, I fully expected this newfound taste for sprouts to go away after the baby was born.  It hasn't.  In fact, I reallyreallyreally want to make some!

So when I saw this recipe, all rational thoughts flew out of my head, I knew I had to make them.  Now!

Balsamic Glazed Brussels Sprouts
Recipe from Ree Drummond

3 lbs (ish) fresh brussels sprouts
Extra virgin olive oil
1 cup balsamic vinegar
3/4 cup sugar
A handful or two of dried cranberries

1.  Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.
Aren't they cute?!


2.  Trim/clean the sprouts, then cut them in half. Arrange on a baking sheet and toss with the olive oil. Roast until brown, 25 to 30 minutes.
I could fit these easily on one large baking sheet, but you may need two.


3.  Combine the balsamic vinegar and sugar in a saucepan. Bring to a boil, then reduce the heat to medium-low and reduce until very thick.  Psst!  You won't quite be able to tell how thick this is while it's bubbling away.  I recommend letting it reduce by about half; I think this took about 15 minutes?  I'll be honest though that I was not watching the clock.  As it cools it will get thicker.

4.  Drizzle the balsamic reduction over the roasted sprouts, then sprinkle on the dried cranberries.

Sweet.  Festive.  Fabulous.
 A little time saving hint for you: if you are making these for a special occasion, clean and trim these the day before.  That alone will save OODLES of time as you're trying to orchestrate the remaining dishes for your holiday feast.
Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment