Friday, June 24, 2011

Get Ahead: Cooked Chicken

About the only kind of chicken I keep handy at all times is frozen, boneless/skinless chicken breasts.  Chicken can be such a blank canvas and so versatile that I think it's necessary for any kitchen to have a few pounds tucked away for a fast, easy, and healthy dinner.
One little ingredient, so many uses

I get myself into trouble though when I find a recipe that I'm DYING to try and it calls for pre-cooked chicken.  I have a lot of good intentions of getting whole chickens and roasting them off for the meat, as time allows.  Ha!!  That's funny.  I really like the rotisserie chickens available in grocery stores but I struggle with spending $2-$3 more than just getting a raw chicken and doing it myself.  And have you seen the prices for those tidy little packages of pre-cooked, pre-chopped chicken??  Ack!!

So the question becomes, how can I easily pre-cook some chicken with minimum fuss using the breasts I keep around anyway?  Well, like this...

Slow Cooker Chicken Breasts
Recipe adapted from my mom because I lost the sheet she wrote it down on

3-4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
2 large onions or 3 medium ones
Season salt
Garlic powder

1.  Because it's me and I have such a hard time remembering to do this, I will make thawing the chicken breasts it's own separate step.
Think of these as like a natural cooking rack

2.  Slice the onions and scatter in the bottom of the slow cooker.  Lay the chicken breasts on top.
Not so hard, right?


3.  Sprinkle the season salt and garlic powder over the chicken to taste.
Flavor hint: be generous


4.  Cover and cook on LOW for 4 hours.
I want to point out I added NO LIQUID before cooking.


Use this chicken in salads, casseroles, pasta dishes, soups, or just as is.  I have to say that the aroma of this chicken cooking is quite fabulous so I'd have no problem doing the latter!  And I love, love, LOVE that I can have several cups worth of cooked chicken done and ready for my freezer with only about 5 minutes of hands-on time from me and no need to buy something extra. :)
Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment