Monday, June 27, 2011

Cobb Salad

Did you have a chance to cook up some chicken over the weekend?  If you did, I highly recommend using some of it in this:

Cobb Salad
Recipe adapted from what I've heard and AllRecipes

Lettuce
1 1/2 pints of grape tomatoes, halved
1 to 1 1/2 cups cooked chicken, cubed
5 slices of bacon
2 avocados, cubed and tossed in a little lemon juice
3 hard boiled eggs, quartered
Salt and freshly ground black pepper

1.  Preheat oven to 400.  Spread out bacon on a broiler pan and bake until bacon is crisp, around 20 minutes.  Drain what little grease there is on a paper towel-lined plate and chop after cooled.


2.  Spread lettuce out on a large platter.
Beautiful lettuce I picked up at the farmer's market


3.  Lay out remaining ingredients across lettuce, each in their own section.
Normally I like a tossed salad, but this just turned out gorgeous!


4.  Season to taste with salt and pepper

Use whichever dressing you prefer, but a simple red wine vinegar and extra-virgin olive oil is fantastic!  This salad actually turned out better that I could have expected for our family to eat for dinner.  Because I kept the toppings segregated, we were each able to take from the sections we preferred.  Since Gavin has become quite the selective eater in the last couple years, this made dinner suddenly more normal, instead of the battle that it usually is.  Gotta love that!

Oh yeah...Cobb salad usually has a section of bleu cheese but I didn't have any handy, plus I ran out of room on the platter anyway.  Obviously next time I need to use a bigger one! :)
Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment