Monday, March 11, 2013

Farmers Market Dinner Challenge

Last week I mentioned that we discovered a local winter, indoors farmer's market and wanted to go on Saturday.  So of course I thought it'd be fun for us to pick out the entire dinner menu from the items at the market.

Interested in what we came up with?  I thought so.


We found:
  • Goat meat, chops and shank
  • Russet potatoes
  • Purple potatoes
  • Asiago sourdough bread
  • Caramel apple preserves
The vendor selling the goat recommended slow cooking it.  So after defrosting it quickly (thank you microwave!), I liberally seasoned the meat and tossed them in.  Oh, I did brown the chops first in a little butter and EVOO, again at the vendor's recommendation.  Since I'd never had goat before, I needed her advice!

I'd never had purple potatoes before so I was SUPER geeked out to try them.  Not sure what I was expecting but they don't taste any different from other potatoes.  I LOOOOOOOOOVED the color they added to the table though!  I quartered the potatoes, added some chunks of carrot, tossed everything in EVOO, S&P, garlic powder and rosemary, and roasted them at 400 for about 45 minutes.  YUM!!

So a fabulous meal of goat, roasted potatoes & carrots, and warm Asiago sourdough bread HAS to be followed up with an equally fantastic dessert right?  Right! So we all fell in love with this caramel apple jam, and I conveniently remembered I had some pie dough sitting in my freezer.  Know what happened with you seal up some jam inside of flaky crust?  Tarts!  So so so soooooooooooo good.
Kieran loved watching me get the tarts assembled.


I'm not sure that we'll do another whole meal at a farmer's market (that could blow my grocery budget!), but we will continue to look for ingredients for various dishes.  Not only was it tasty, but it was fun to do as a family!  Gavin especially seemed to like that, for once, he wasn't the only one trying something new at dinner time.
Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment