Wednesday, February 1, 2012

Kheema

I like to think I'm fairly adventurous when it comes to food.  I mean, come on, a girl cannot grow up moving around the world (thanks Dad!) and not be willing to try a few things.  Like anyone, there are certain things I don't like, but even then I try to find workarounds for those foods.

When it comes to food genres, I think I'm pretty predictable there.  I love the typical "American" grub.  I frequently crave Mexican food.  And there are those days when, of course, only Chinese takeout can make things right again.

Indian food though, has never really entered my thought process....until now.

Kheema
Recipe adapted from Aarti Sequeira

3 tbsp canola oil
1 large onion, finely diced
4 cloves garlic, minced
1 (1 1/2-inch thumb) fresh ginger, peeled and grated
2 tsp ground coriander
1 tsp paprika
3/4 tsp garam masala
1/2 tsp ground cumin
1/2 tsp cayenne
1 lb ground beef
2 medium tomatoes, chopped
1/2 cup beer
1/2 cup water
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
1 cup frozen peas
2 tsp apple cider vinegar
1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro, plus a few extra leaves for garnish, optional
4 chapatis, tortillas or pitas, warmed


1.  In a large skillet, warm the oil over medium-high heat. Add the onions and cook until golden. Add the garlic and ginger, and saute for another minute. Stir in the coriander, paprika, garam masala, cumin and cayenne, if using and cook for 1 minute.
The perfume of all these spices warming is INSANE


2.  Add the beef, breaking up lumps with a spoon, and saute until the meat is no longer pink. Add the tomatoes, beer, water and season with salt and pepper. Stir well and simmer, uncovered until some of the liquid evaporates, about 5-8 minutes.  Sprinkle in the peas and simmer an additional 5 minutes.
Drained, canned diced tomatoes work too, but fresh ones are better if you have them


3.  Stir in the vinegar and chopped cilantro. Garnish with torn cilantro leaves and serve with warm chapatis, tortillas, or pita bread.
Love that fresh, bright green!


The first time I made this, I almost didn't make it again, it was that BLAND.  Even with all these incredible spices, I couldn't believe that the flavor just was not there.  But I persevered, made a few adjustments the second go around (which you'll notice if you compare the above to her original recipe).  The one thing I was to recommend for this though is to NOT measure.  No seriously, don't be exacting with this one.  If you really like ginger, then grate some more in.  If garam masala is your thing, go for it!  But, please, do not reduce the amount of cayenne.  I promise that if you do any less than a 1/2 tsp you will not taste it; this dish needs that heat.
Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment