Tuesday, April 1, 2014

Pork Chops with Pears in a Port Wine Sauce

Don't freak out on me. I know how this post sounds already.

It sounds fancy. And fancy has, historically, meant hard.

But this is me, remember? Do I give you hard dishes? If I can't prepare an excellent meal with a six year-old trying to show me his latest Lego creation while my two year-old tries desperately to "help" me by either eating half my ingredients or dumping them on the floor, then I don't tell you about it.


And I'm telling you about this recipe. So that means it can be prepared with even the most insane distractions.

Pork Chops with Pears in a Port Wine Sauce
Recipe from Ellie Krieger
Prep time: 5 minutes   Cook time: about 25 minutes

1 large, firm-ripe pear (or a couple medium ones)
Cooking spray
4 pork chops, about 3/4" thick
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
3/4 cup chicken stock
3/4 cup port wine
1 tbsp Dijon mustard

1. Core, and slice the pears into 1/2" thick slices.
If peels bother you, take them off. I was too lazy to bother with it though.


2. Spray a large nonstick skillet with cooking spray and preheat over medium-high heat. Add the pears and cook, stirring once or twice, until warmed and slightly softened but still retain their shape, 5 to 8 minutes. Transfer the pears to a plate.
Don't be afraid to SEASON. Flavor doesn't just happen by itself.


3. Season the pork chops with salt and pepper. Spray the skillet with additional cooking spray, then add the chops and cook until just slightly blush in the center, 4 to 5 minutes per side. Transfer the chops to a second plate and cover to keep warm.
Trying to go for some good color.


4. Add the broth and port to the skillet, raise the heat to high, and cook until the liquid is reduced by about half, 5 to 6 minutes. Stir in the mustard and whisk until dissolved, then return the pears to the pan and stir to combine. Drizzle the pear and port sauce over the chops and serve.
A 4-ingredient pan sauce. EASY!!

If you want to step up the sauce a little more, add a little bit of butter right at the end. This adds a glossy shine to the sauce, and a touch of rich flavor too. Yummy!!

And, for the record, my older son creates amazing Lego structures. My younger son is quite hilarious to have around in the kitchen (these pears were thoroughly taste-tested). And this meal absolutely fantastic, even with all my crazy distractions!
Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment