Thursday, April 28, 2011

Broccoli Salad

I figure there are two groups of people on this one...you either know what I'm talking about, or you don't.  If you don't, please allow me to enlighten you.  This salad, though sounds like the epitome of healthy eating, is really just about anything but.  Yes, there's broccoli in it..........and cheese, and bacon, and a "dressing" that's really just lightly flavored mayonnaise. 

The first time I had this salad was at a family gathering.  The flavor was Ah-MAY-zing!! However that night, I was reminded that my stomach isn't like other peoples' stomachs.  It doesn't like excessive amounts of grease and fat.  So for years I have admired this salad from afar, too chicken to even have a bite or two, lest I offend my fat-sensitive Stomach.

But I've been learning a thing or two about cooking in the last 10 years or so.  One of my favorite tricks is substituting yogurt for sour cream or mayonnaise in recipes.  Ok Broccoli Salad....I'm ready for you.  Let's do this and see what happens.

Broccoli Salad
Recipe adapted from Paula Deen

6-8 slices thick-cut bacon
1 head of broccoli
1 small red onion, thinly sliced (I don't often have red onion; so I just use a little finely chopped whatever-onion-I-have-around)
2 tomatoes, chopped
8 oz sharp cheddar cheese, cubed
1/2 cup (ish) dried cranberries
1 cup (ish, a little less probably) plain yogurt
2 tbsp mayonnaise
1/4 cup sugar
2 tbsp apple cider vinegar

1.  Preheat oven to 400.  Lay bacon on a broiler pan in a single layer and bake until crisp, about 20 minutes.  Blot any excess grease with paper towels.  Let cool and crumble into bite-sized pieces.

Or you can use a cookie sheet for a little extra crispy bacon.

2.  In a large bowl, combine broccoli, onion, tomatoes, cheese, dried cranberries, and bacon.  Toss to combine.
Love those colors!!


3.  In a small bowl, whisk together yogurt (use Greek-style if you want a thicker dressing), mayo, sugar, and vinegar.
I am rarely without a giant container of plain yogurt in my fridge.

4.  Drizzle as much or as little dressing as you like over the salad.  Toss to make sure everything is lightly coated.  Refrigerate until ready to serve.


I dare you to try this and see if you can tell the difference in taste.  Bet you can't. ;)
Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment